Low and Slow Beef Ribs on the Weber Q



My wife Kate will tell you that I research everything, love forums and generally worry unnecessarily about a purchase, recipe, beer, holiday etc... before I pull the trigger and try/buy it.

Today was one of those days.

I woke up and really really wanted to use the Weber Q for dinner tonight, not just some grilled steak or snags either, I wanted to see if I could go low and slow enough to get slow cooked beef ribs perfected.

I started with my favourite forum for BBQ - the Aussie BBQ Forum and spent a while reading through the various methods that people had tried to get a long slow cook out of the Weber Q, which apparently is quite hard to do!

Then the kids and I piled in the car and headed to the Mecca of all meat emporiums - Super Butcher
B-E-A-utiful

We came home with a boot full of meat, most of which I portion up and freeze, but also came home with these bad boys. Argentinian Style Tira De Asado beef short ribs..!


Method:

  1. 5 hours before serving clean and prep the Weber
  2. Set up your smoke box or pouch with whatever wood you like (I used Mesquite and Hickory)
  3. Place a double layer of foil on the grill, top that with a trivet
  4. Place a foil pan full of water next to the trivet
  5. Get the BBQ to 120ºC (250ºF)
  6. Arrange you ribs and walk away for 3 hours.


Here they are at the start of the cook, I have not placed the water tray on yet, and the smoke box is underneath the grill plates on the burner.

The start of the cook
Here they are looking lovely after 3 hours.
At this point I wrap them in foil with a splash of juice (you can use water if you want) and place back in the Weber for another 2 hours.


After 3 hours, ready to foil.
And here is the final result after 5 hours, meat falling of the bone, nice smoke ring on the outside. Tasting brilliant.
I served it up with Kate's fabulous pumpkin and couscous salad and some garlic bread.


The end product.


So... low and slow on the Weber Q works quite well. I did have to check the temp every now and then but it stayed pretty much at 120ºC (250ºF) for the whole cook.

Next up is brisket or pulled pork!

Cheers



Comments

  1. Hey nice work - did the Q stay at ~120C with this setup alone and on the lowest setting? Looks like a combo of the smoke box on the grill and the foil layer allow you to keep heat nice and low. Did you do anything else?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment