Matso's Ginger Beer - Review


With my hands shaking with frustration I looked around the fridge for something to quickly calm my nerves, when my eyes landed on the Matso's Ginger Beer cans!

I had just transferred my Kolsch of the Damned into the fermenter, this bloody beer had been nothing but trouble since I brewed it yesterday. 
  • First I knocked the no chill fermenter tap out when taking out the bins, resulting in a few litres of 90 deg wort all over me and the floor, a quick dive into the pool saved my legs.
  • Then the 40kg brewdog Oscar got woken up by some magpies, ran into the garage and promptly knocked me, and my starter of Kolsch yeast over in the process, I salvaged most of it, luckily for him.

But onto the Ginger Beer! I was lucky enough to score a case of these wonderful cans from Matso's and the Crafty Pint late last month. Being away I had not had a chance to try them properly until now.

I served it ice cold from the can into my favourite beer glass
  • It poured a a cloudy straw colour, the ginger hits your nose instantly. 
  • The flavour funnily enough is of ginger, a hint of lemon, a pinch of spice and thankfully no heat. 
  • It is really well carbonated which pumps up the flavours each time you take a swig. 
  • Sweet on the pallet, but not cloyingly sweet as some home brewed ginger beer can get.
  • Overall it was just so refreshing to drink, and at 3.5% alc/vol it wont turn you into a wobbly mess after a few which is great!
I wish I had some rum on hand to make a Matso's Dark and Stormy....

So if you are into ginger beer, or just want to take a break from grain based beer give this a go it is a cracker.


Matso's description - "With a well-guarded recipe known only to a select few, Matso's Ginger Beer is a legend among Kimberley locals and 'in the know' visitors. Both gluten-free and vegan-friendly, there is no greater low alcohol beer to enjoy over ice on a long, hot afternoon or on occasions when you're not looking for a traditional beer."


Matso’s is the Kimberley’s award winning microbrewery all the way over and up (depending on where you are!) in Broome Western Australia.

With an award winning on site brewery and restaurant they endeavour to marry the menu to the beer they produce, also Broome’s Asian cultural influence allows their chefs to be adventurous and creative.

I hope to get over there one day and sample some direct from the source!

Cheers
David

Comments

  1. This ginger beer tastes very much like soft drink . It was recommended to me by the bottle shop attendant. I am very disappointed. Crabbies is far more palatable in my view. I will not buy this again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment