Delicious Brisket on a Weber Q - Hot and Fast Method



I'm going to call this as one of the tastiest things I have cooked recently, the bark was crunchy and delicious, the meat was succulent and juicy with a delicate smoke flavour.

I decided to tackle cooking the brisket in the trusty Weber Q (I am yet to find something this thing wont cook to perfection!) mine is the big Weber Family Q320.

Brisket is something that is not all that prevalent up here in the tropics, probably due to the distinct lack of proper BBQ joints!


After a bit of internet research I opted for the hot and fast method which as you can guess involves higher temperatures over a shorter period of time and is pretty much the opposite of the old fashioned Low and Slow.

This is going to be a picture intrusive post so I have put the basic instructions/method in bullet points down the bottom of the post!

And as always let me know if you try this out!!

Look at this piece of meat! 

Image


I had the butcher cut it in half since it was going to be just for the two of us. It was slathered in mustard and bbq rub before wrapping and going into the fridge overnight.

















A smoke box filled with half mesquite and half hickory chips was placed under the grill on the middle burner. A water pan on the side and a double layer of foil under the trivet.

Image


After getting the smoke going I found that setting the big burner to a couple of clicks below min was perfect for 350F.

Image


It took 5 hours to get to 190F, I then basted it with a stock, brown sugar, tomato sauce & Worcestershire mixture. Then let it rise to 200F (probably another 45 min)

Image


I then took it off and wrapped it in double foil and a couple of tea towels and placed it in an esky until dinner, probably around 2 hours.

Carving was so easy, the meat was very tender and moist, the bark was crunchy, there was a small smoke ring.

Image


Served with some homemade coleslaw on Turkish bread.

Image

Can't wait to do the other bit soon!


Basic Instructions - Your mileage may vary!
  1. Brisket coated with mustard and BBQ rub
  2. Wrapped up tight and left in the fridge overnight.
  3. Smoke box full of chips placed under the grill on the centre burner.
  4. Double foil placed on the grill, trivet on top of the foil.
  5. Water pan placed on the grill, refilled throughout the cook.
  6. BBQ temp to 350F
  7. Place brisket on the trivet
  8. Cook until internal temp reaches 190F (mine took 5 hours)
  9. Baste with glaze or marinade
  10. Cook until internal temp reaches 200F (this took another 45 min)
  11. Remove and wrap in foil and tea towels and place in an esky/chilly bin/cooler for a few hours or until lunch/dinner. (I left mine for 2 hours)
  12. Slice, serve and enjoy!

Comments

  1. We have a baby Q. I guess this will work in cooking this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As there has been no reply to date, may I forward my findings so far.
      I had considerable problems using a baby Q. Contact with Weber Australia it was decided that the Baby runs too hot and even on minimum setting it's too hot. Wrapping still allowed it to cook too quickly. To put a brisket in a container rendered the baby too small. A fitting to raise the lid has not yet been made, but yet the physical size is too small to allow circulation. The aluminum rotisserie wedge allows too much heat to escape leaving just bottom heat, brisket requires surrounded heat.

      I normally use a pellet smoker and still suffer drying esp. on cheaper flats. :(
      Otzi

      Delete
  2. I did this yesterday on my baby q, wrapped 3/4 of the burner in foil to keep the temp down. Sat the smoker box directly on the burner. Turned out great for a first time, was super happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have used this recipe twice now, using my Weber Family Q, absolutely delicious and cooked perfectly, (5 3/4 Hrs) also used it when we went over to OZ for a family get together, all were very impressed. Thank you for the recipe. I shared it with our local Weber Dealer as well (NZ)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment